Senior Rugby

Senior Rugby 2014-2015 

          Wexford CBS…….46 –  East Glendalough…….22

Our Senior rugby team began the defence of the McMullen Cup today against East Glendalough, Wicklow. Alex Ryan opened the scoring after 11 minutes with a well taken try. Kevein Birney aded the conversion. Captain Conor Fenlon was next to cross the opposition line which was again converted by Kevin Birney. EGL responded with two quick tries reducing the deficit to 14 – 10. The Bokerboys hit a purple patch before half-time with tries from Aaron Carley and John Hamilton, both converted by Kevin Birney who was in superb kicking form. He also added a penalty before the whistle blew to end a productive half for Wexford, leaving them leading 31 – 10 .

Wexford opened the second half strongly, another Birney penalty and a try from Ian Bennett extended the lead to 39 – 10. EGL managed a couple of tries before Chris Vickery put the final nail in their coffin, again Birney added the extra points, bringing the Wexford total to 46 points.

This was a solid performance and will have to repeated on Thursday when we travel to Dublin to play St. Conleth’s in round 2.

Senior Rugby 2013-2014

McMullen Cup Final

Wexford CBS..25  St. Fintans High School, Sutton ….15

The Bokerboys entered this final hoping to complete the first leg of their double. St. Fintan’s provide quality opposition and indeed it was a tough hard fought encounter. CBS executed  three well rehearsed moves to score the game winning scores.

Sutton enjoyed the early momentum and were rewarded a penalty following a late tackle. They successfully landed the kick and took the lead. Within 2 mins. Wexford had won a lineout and swiftly moved the ball across the backline, for Ian Moran to get over the line in the corner. Sean Stafford kicked the conversion 7-3 The exchanges were fairly even but approaching half time , following a high tackle, Eoin Roche kicked a 50m penalty to extend the lead. 10-3

Wexford had not yet got into top gear but when Conor Fenlon fielded the restart in spectacular fashion the Wexford intent was clear. They were going all out to get their noses further infront. Mikey Coleman was tackled high and Sean Stafford stretched the lead to 13-3. Sutton responded and crossed for a try of their own which was converted, 13-10 and the game was certainly in the balance. Following a series of penalties, Wexford got into good lineout position, the ball was secured by Collie Joyce-Ahearne, the maul formed and moved forward towards the line, where David Kavanagh had the honour of getting the try.18-10

Then came the champagne try, a superb line break from Josh Healy carved open the defence, he drew in the full back and set Eoin Roche on his way, who magically side stepped his way over the line. Sean Stafford added the extra two points, 25-10 with three minutes left. St. Fintan’s did cross the Wexford line in the final play of the game, but the McMullen Cup was firmly on its way to the trophy cabinet  in The Boker.

This team now have the chance to achieve the double, as they have a League Final still to come. A truly remarkable two years for this squad of players.

Donal Moore, Mikey Coleman, Steve Roche, Gavin Byrne, Daragh Comiskey, David Kavanagh, Conor Fenlon, Collie Joyce-Ahearne, Tomas Barry, Sean Stafford, Josh Healy, Mikey Roche, Ian Moran, Liam Barry, Eoin Roche.

Subs. Ruairi Devereux, Callum Murphy, Chris Vickery, Richie Cleary, Evan Dunbar, Jason Guerrine, Steve Cullen, Joe Coleman, James Byrne.Kevin Birney.


SCT McMullen Cup Semi-Final

Wexford CBS……..22   Naas CBS…….15

Wexford CBS travelled to Tullow to contest their McMullen Cup semi-final v Naas CBS on Wed. 12th March . Nass were the current holders of the cup, having also defeated Wexford at this stage of the competition last year. The Bokerboys were intent on revenge and a physically big Naas team were equally there for victory. A compelling contest was on the cards.

Wexford fielding without tight head prop James Byrne and second row Joe Coleman , had re structured their starting team, but not weakened it. Steve Roche moved over to tight head and Donal Moore came on at loose head. Gavin Byrne moved to second row, Conor Fenlon moved from scrum-half to No.7 and Thomas Barry came off the bench to No.9

Wexford had an early lineout and cleanly secured the ball, the maul was formed an Naas were driven backwards. The pack were as strong as ever, no worries there. On 10 mins. The ball was sent into the open field and  centre Josh Healy crashed through the tackle and continued on his merry way to score under the posts. Sean Stafford reliably added the conversion. 7-0.

On 16 mins. Wexford had again got deep in Naas territory and again from the lineout they set the maul in motion, with Mikey Coleman getting the touchdown. Now in dominant form, Wexford bagan to open up and when Eoin Roche drew in the defence, and delicately placed a kick behind them, he had created a scoring opportunity for winger Liam Barry to finish in the corner. 17-0

Naas rallied briefly before half-time and managed to roll a maul of their own over the Wexford line, 17-5 at the interval was a good return.

The early stages of the second-half  was all Wexford, and an intelligent blindside move created a line break which brought Wexford surging up field and within meters off the Naas line, where Sean Stafford engaged a pick and go, to cross the line. 22-5 and comfortable, Wexford were on their way.

The final 10 mins. Had Wexford defending non-stop and some creative decisions allowed Naas record two tries, it was never enough to trouble the eventual result.


Wexford now find themselves with two Leinster finals to play, v Naas in the McMullen Final and v East Glendalough in the Leinster Section A League Final.

January 2014

Rugby – Vinny Murray Semi-Final

Wexfrod CBS…..12                                          St.Gerard’s….24

The Bokerboys, sponsored by Renewable Academy, great giant killing run finally came to an end in Wicklow on Thursday last against St. Gerard’s, Bray. They did not go without a fight and certainly caused great concern to Gerard’s and their coaching staff. Wexford took the lead early in the first game when Sean Stafford clinically kicked a ball behing the Gerard’s defense, Josh Healy was on to it in a flash and scored the opening score of the game.

Gerard’s replied when they broke tackles and managed to get the ball out wide, for their winger to score in the corner. 5-5
Wexford were enjoying the major share of territory as Stafford and Eoin Roche constantly pinned them back deep in their half. Follow a trade mark lineout take from Collie Joyce-Ahearne, the infamous maul was formed and set on its meery way towards the line. Joe Coleman, the anchorman at the back reliably controlled the ball and got the touch down. Stafford converted, 12-5 and Wexford were living the dream of potentially reaching the Senior Cup. It remained that way until half time.
Second half saw CBS now face the windy elements. It was crushibg stuff from both sides as the tacklers were coming out on top. Finally Gerard’s made the breakthrough and a try in the corner added to their tally, but the missed conversion kept Wexford in the lead.12-10. Much of the game was being contested in the mid field area, but Gerard’s eventually kicked deep and got a lineout close to the Wexford line, following a collapsed maul, the ref. strangely awarded a penalty try against the Bokerboys, a very harsh decision indeed and gifted the lead to Gerard’s. 17-12.
Wexford now had to chase the game and unfortunately didn’t manage to get another score, Gerard’s broke away on the final play and scored in the corner, which was converted, giving them a further seven points and a 24-12 victory, which certainly flattered them.
CBS can hold there heads high and proud and still have a league final and cup semi-final to look forward to.


Rugby SCT reach Semi-Final

Another fine win for this remarkable squad of players. Yesterday was about toughness and discipline. The ability to dig deep and find a way to win, when things were not going to plan. In difficult wet conditions it was always going to be something of a lottery.
The early exchanges were even but on 15 mins. Wexford were pinned back close to their line and following a scrum they crashed over for a converted try. Wexford enjoyed a few visits to the opposing 22 but handling errors were costly. A missed kick at goal on 20 mins. served to galvanise the team and their shear determination to get a score before half time was realised when Sean Stafford kicked a penalty just before the break.
Wexford upped the ante after the break but again a combination of good defence and handling errors prevented Wexford from scoring. On 10 mins. after a powerful maul, a penalty was awarded and Sean Stafford reduced the margin to one point. On 20 mins. following some driving play by the pack another penalty was awarded and again Sean Stafford remained cool and slotted the ball between the posts.
Now in front 9-7 , it was time to not concede. We defended bravely and with toughness. However a penalty was conceded in the lineout and the final play of the game gave St. Columba’s the opportunity to win the match. Fortunately for us, the kick was pulled wide. It was an ugly win, but nonetheless, in the cup a win is what counts.
We now meet St. Gerard’s in the semi-final next Thursday.

Rugby – SCT Advance To Semi-Final

CBS Wexford …39  DLS Churchtown …8
Today was very important, not only was it a ticket to the McMullen Cup semi-final, but also a place in the Vinny Murray Cup draw on Monday night. This gives us a crack at the ‘ big boys’.
We were simply excellent in the opening exchanges of this game, we played with power and intensity, but above all our execution in the scoring zone was immense. Joe Coleman scored twice in 15 mins. This was followed by tries from Eoin Roche and Conor Fenlon before half time. Sean Stafford added one conversion. 22-3 at the break was convincing. DLS responded early in the second half with some possession, but never really threatened the line. Ian Moran then finished off two slick back line moves and Collie Joyce-Ahearne added another to wrap up our scoring. Sean Stafford added a further two points by converting one of them.
DLS did manage to score late on, but the result was well beyond their reach.
Bokerboys now meet Naas, a repeat of last years semi-final.
The draw for the Vinny Murray Cup takes place on Monday night. Let’s see who we get in that.
Well done lads, you were all exceptional today; our goals are still firmly intact. Believe it.


Rugby – SCT Advance in McMullen Cup

Wexford CBS….26  Tullow CS…..10
The Bokerboys were firmly in control of this tie and when Ruairi Devereux scored in the corner after five minutes, the signs looked good. Eoin Roche was in fine form and kicked the conversion from the touchline. 7-0. Eoin was involved again on fifteen minutes and finished off a fine move, again he added the extra points. 14-0. Steve Roche crossed the line but was judged to have been held up. Wexford again attacked out wide and a flowing move was finished by Ruairi Devereux in the corner. 19-0
Collie Joyce-Ahearne scored after eight minutes of the second half, which Birthday Boy converted. 26-0. Cruising now, Wexord made some excellent line breaks but did not execute the final pass. They then went through a period of ‘laying off’ and allowed Tullow a try on 25 minutes. Tullow rallied again and crossed one more time, with the final play.
Wexford can be happy with the tough workout and we have plenty to work on when we train on Monday.
We face DLS Churchtown in Wexford on Wednesday next at 2.30pm.




Leinster Development Cup Rd.3  Wed.24th Oct.

Wexford C.B.S. …51 New Ross C.B.S. …3


A comprehensive victory today at Park Lane for the Seniors. New Ross fought bravely but were never in a position to cause an upset. Wexford did what was required but their execution in general was poor. Too many handling errors and poor quality of passing is not good. However their were some excellent aspects to their play when needed. If this team is to progress they will have to raise the skill level, which is well within their capabilities. Tries from Collie Joyce-Ahearne 3, James Byrne, Gavin Byrne, John Joe Browne, Jos Healy and Ciaran Kavanagh did the damage. Conversions were added by Eoin Roche, Liam Barry and John Joe Browne.


Team: James Roche, Steve Roche, James Byrne, Darragh Comiskey, Michael Maguire, Gavin Byrne, David Kavanagh, Collie Joyce-Ahearne, Conor Fenlon, Eoin Roche, Mickey Roche, Josh Healy, Ruairi Devereux, J.J. Brown and Liam Barry.

Subs used: Ciaran Kavanagh, Dylan Lawlor, Richie Cleary, Tomas Barry and Dean Kehoe.


Wexford meet Colaiste Bhride, Carnew in the Quarter Final on Nov.7th


Leinster Development Cup Rd.2   Wed.3rd Oct. 2012

Wexford C.B.S….55   Enniscorthy C.B.S….3

A blistering start to this game saw Wexford cross the Enniscorthy line twice in the first 8 minutes. Both tries were scored by Collie Joyce-Ahearne one which was converted by Eoin Roche. This is an experienced Wexford side and they capitalised on this good start with some scintilating rugby. A powerful scrum, a rapid clean-out drive, excellence in the lineout and the swift movement and handling by the backline led to further scores from Josh Healy, Ruari Devereux, Darragh Comiskey and Conor Fenlon. Eoin Roche kicked two conversions. All this before half time and before Enniscorthy registered their first score, a penalty. Leading 36-3 at the break Wexford,were cruising.

The second half saw more of the same and Enniscorthy conceded to uncontested scrums. The result was now secure and further tries by Josh Healy, Steve Roche and Collie Joyce-Ahearne wrapped up the win. Both Eoin and Collie added a conversion each to finish off a very successful afternoons work.


Team: James Roche, Steve Roche, James Byrne, Darragh Comiskey, Michael Maguire, Gavin Byrne, David Kavanagh, Collie Joyce-Ahearne, Conor Fenlon, Eoin Roche, Mickey Roche, Josh Healy, Ruairi Devereux, J.J. Brown and Liam Barry.

Subs used: Evan Dunbar, Ciaran Kavanagh, Dylan Lawlor, Richie Cleary, Tomas Barry and Dean Kehoe.

Congratulations to Collie Joyce-Ahearne who was a member of the Leinster U.18 rugby team that defeated Munster 10-7, in Thomond Park on Sunday last, maintaining their 100% record in the Inter Pro competition. They now face Ulster in the semi – final after Christmas.


Both Junior and Senior teams recieved walk overs in their Cup games this week. Both Kilkenny C.B.S. and St. Davids, Greystones failed to field teams.

Hopefully next week we will be back in action. Great to see so many Juniors at training this week, they are developing into a more cohesive unit. Well done lads.


Leinster Development Cup Rd.2      Oct.19th 2011

Wexford C.B.S….9  Coláiste Bríd, Carnew…8

A vey youthful Wexford team took the field today, all bar one player are eligible for next year, against a bigger side from Carnew. However Wexford played with a competent style and their experience stood them well as they contested for every ball and made every tackle. The game ebbed and flowed and only a penalty seperated the sides at the break, wirh Carnew being successful after 17 mins.
Wexford had the wind at their back for the second half and played a territorial game, kicking behind the defense and were unlucky when Ian Moran came close to scoring. Eoin Roche had his kicking boots on, and converted two kicks to make it 6-3 after 20 mins. With the clock ticking down Wexford were put on the back foot and a break through the defence secured Carnew a vital try to give them the lead 8-6 with four minutes remaining. Wexford adopted the pick and go and eventually were awarded a penalty for infringing at the ruck. Eoin Roche slotted from 35m the winning kick and advance the Bokerboys to Rd. 3
Team: James Byrne, Steve Roche, James Roche, Michael Maguir, Darragh Comiskey, Gavin Byrne, Collie Joyce-Ahearne, Ciaran Kavanagh (Capt.), John Joe Browne, Ian Moran, Eoin Roche, Dylan Lalor, Mikey Roche, Liam Barry, Gavin O’Connor.
Subs: Dean Roche, Ruairi Devereux, Evan Dunbar, Kevin Phillips, Daniel Cunningham, Conor Wilson.